Skip to main content

Emily Roberts in Whitterview 59

Hi everyone! Welcome back to the 59th Whitterview. This week I am pleased to introduce Emily Roberts, you may be familiar with her if you listen to her incredible music or caught her on season nine of The Voice on Team Blake Shelton where she was the Runner-Up that season. 

You definitely need to listen to some of her music if you haven't already.

She is also one of the most sweetest people I've have gotten to know, and I'm excited you get to meet her. Her first country music single is still one of my favorite songs and I listen to it once a day, not even kidding. 

So as always, lets get to it! 

Introducing Emily Roberts! 



Tell me about you (family, where you grew up, etc)
ER: I grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee. I have an older sister named Abigail. She's six years older then me and it was just the two of us girls growing up. I have such a sweet family. I'm so blessed to have them. We have lived in Knoxville my whole life. That has played such a huge role in my music and who I am as an artist, just being surrounded by music had a major impact on me and when I started playing guitar and singing and songwriting those blue grassy influences came out in the music I create. I'm so thankful I was able to grow up in East Tennessee and have such a supportive family who always encourage me to practice on the guitar and keep singing.

When did you start getting into music?
ER: I've always loved singing. I remember singing along to Hannah Montana all the stuff the kids my age used to jam to. That's when I really started singing was singing along with the TV or singing along in the back of the car with my parents music they would play for us. Then when I started singing and performing (I first sang and performed for my Church with a song called Blessings) that was in 6th grade and I auditioned for my school talent show and didn't make it. That's when I went to my choir teacher and asked her how I could make it next year and she said "Well maybe if you played an instrament you would have made it" So I went home and got an old guitar from my older cousin and my dad taught my three cords and I started taking lessons. At the end of my 7th grade year I auditioned again and I ended up winning. That gave me more confidence and I started playing around Knoxville. I had a pretty regular gig at a Mexican restaurant and that's where I got my start.

Tell me about your time on The Voice and being on Team Blake!
ER: I cannot say enough good things about being on The Voice. It was such an amazing opportunity and I'm so thankful. I learned so so much and it prepared me for so much. It gave me confidence. You can't really put a price tag on it. Blake was so awesome, he was just like a friend the whole time through the whole season and that was so great. The fact that he cared enough to make me feel comfortable and was supportive was really helpful. Even off the show he's been there, he's introduced me to so many incredible people and he introduced me to the whole team I'm working with now. I wouldn't trade my time on The Voice for anything. I learned so much and got to meet all the other contestants who are life long friends. It was such an amazing experience.



If you could duet with anyone in the music industry who would it be?
ER: I definitely would duet with Dolly Parton because I'm obsessed with her. Or Ronnie Dunn. One of those two are some of my all time favorite country voices. It would be a dream come true to do a duet with those people.

If you could make up the four judges for the Voice, who would your dream judges be?
ER: I would keep Blake for sure and I would keep Kelly (Clarkson) for sure, I think they are absolutely phenomenal judges and coaches. Then I would add in, Beyonce would be an awesome coach for The Voice, she would be killer. Chris Stapleton, so he could teach (me) how to do his runs.

Do you do anything special before you go out and perform? Any special rituals?
ER: Well I always pray, just because I believe that this is something that the Lord has called me to do and he has given me this gift of singing. So I always pray and that helps me with any nerves and gets my mind in the right place before I preform. I always try to drink a bunch of water. I don't go on stage unless I pray. 



Who are some of your favorite musicians? 
ER: My musicians are my favorite musicians. I'm very partial to my band. Tori Harding is my band leader and guitar player and he is so incredible and it has been so much fun playing with him for the past three years. I've had quite a few incredible musicians play on my records as well. 

You also got to work with Brad Paisley and Rihanna if I remember correctly on The Voice, right? What was that like?
ER: Yes, I got to work with Brad Paisley pretty early on, he was Blake's advisor, so awesome, so supportive. His personality was a lot like Blake's in a way where they just made you feel comfortable. He was awesome. 
And then Rihanna, she was a dream, so sweet. I was actually sick the day I worked with her and I was having a tough day, but she was so sweet and just gave me some really awesome tips about how I was reaching for high notes and low notes and told me to stay comfortable and relax and the note would fall out easier. She was like a supermodel. 

Whats next for you? Any new music coming? Any big performances?
ER: So next up is my Someday Dream EP which comes out this Friday (July 12th), I'm so excited to share it with everybody. It's six songs and I am so pumped to finally be able to have a body of work and a project out. It's just something I've worked for since I've got off The Voice. It's just the beginning. We have more music coming out right around the corner, it's crazy. I'm so excited to be rolling out so much music. You can check out all my tour dates on my website www.emilyannroberts.com and I absolutely love playing my music live. It makes it all worth it. It's my dream and passion to preform and entertain. It means the world to me to thank someone personally for their support. 




Who is your celebrity crush?
ER: Zac Efron! I mean, is he not every girls celebrity crush?

And finally, if you could have dinner with three people who would they be and why?
ER: Dolly Parton, Reba McIntire, both of those women are so phenomenal. They're incredible artists and singer/songwriters and not only that they're smart business women. I would love to sit down and have dinner with them. Then, Reese Witherspoon. Those three women I would love to have dinner with. So let's see if I can make that happen. Reese is so gifted and incredible as an actress, she has a store and have written books, she is such a boss. I would love to be able to pick all their brains. 

Follow Emily along on social media and GET HER EP THAT DROPS TOMORROW!!!!!!!! 

Instagram and Twitter: @emilyann_music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Heart Surgery to Criminal Justice to MTV, Jenna Compono is here in #Whitterview 31

It all started on The Real World Ex-Plosion, Jenna Compono's first show of many that aired on MTV. From there she moved on to The Challenge and was able to come out with some money from them after winning several challenges.  In this latest installment of the #Whitterview series, we get to know Jenna and her experiences on the shows she has been on.  Lets get to it! Meet Jenna Compono!  Tell me about yourself JC: I grew up in NY with a huge family. I am one of six and have over 50 first cousins. My mom is one of seven and my dad is one of eight, so you can imagine the amount of cousins at my family parties! I loved growing up with a huge family. We did everything together, birthdays, holidays, vacations, graduations etc. I recently just became an aunt for the first time to baby Stella, who is absolutely adorable. Right now I nanny and do reality TV which takes up a good amount of my time, besides working I love going to the gym and hot pilates when I get free

Two Time Challenge Champ Ashley Mitchell in Whitterview 48

I'm sure we've all asked ourselves about what would we do if we won a million dollars? I have, countless times. So I decided to go to the queen of MTV's The Challenge and ask the million dollar winner herself. We first met Ashley Mitchell on The Real World: Ex-Plosion, from there she went on to gracing our television screens on The Challenge series. Ashley is at the top of the list for Challenge vets as she has won the most money. She won season 29 and season 32 (Invasion of the Champions and Final Reckoning.) She won a million dollars in season 32. I mean, she does hold the record for most money won by a cast member and the record for the most money won in a single season- so that does make her the queen, am I right? I couldn't be the only one shocked that she went home right away this new season of The Challenge. (Yo- wish she could have been brought back somehow to shake up the game!) Anyway, with all this being said let's get to know the queen herself in

Kay Brown & Corey Brooks are #BFFGoals in Whitterview 54

Can I just say that Kay  and Corey are two of my absolute favorite people on this planet? Two people that would drop everything to help you out (I know first hand) and are the nicest people (and maybe corayziest.... but more on that later) I think that's what makes them the perfect best friends.  I'm also sure you're wondering what the heck Corayz means- Well 1. these two are crazy people, they even say so themselves, and well Kay + Corey = Coray, it's simple math really and I don't even know how to do math.  Ya ya enough rambling, let's get to probably one of the funniest interviews ever. From sliding into DM's, to trolling girlfriends and seeing how well these best friends know each other. It's time for this weeks Whitterview with Kay Brown and Corey Brooks! How did you two meet?  CB: Marie (Roda, MTV's The Challenge) posted a picture of me, Kay followed and liked/commented on every picture I’ve ever posted, I DM’d her asking if