Skip to main content

Tovah Marx in Whitterview 64



Happy Monday! I'm excited for you to get to know Tovah Marx this week. I've been following her for a while, and wheewwww is she an inspiration especially to girls in today's society. Those who struggle with depression and anxiety, like me as well. I've always struggled with anxiety, but Tovah is such an uplifting soul and is so open with her struggles, I'm not afraid to admit my anxiety that I struggle with. If she can, I can too.

So who is Tovah? Well you're about to get to know her. You may have seen her on The Real World: Atlanta that recently moved from MTV to Facebook Watch.

Speaking of this season of The Real World... I got to the third round of casting for this season and I didn't even apply, somehow I just got a random email I had made it to the third round, now knowing that Tovah was on it, I wish I would have tried and not deleted the email because I would have loved to have gotten the chance to know her in real life.

This interview brought me to tears a few times, Tovah has been one of the most humble, sweet, and magical interviews I've ever done. Where do I sign up to become her bff?

Anyway, enough rambling. Let's get to know Tovah!

Image result for tovah marx


Tell me about you:
 TM: My name is Tovah Marx, I’m 27, from San Diego, California. I grew up as an only child, and an Aquarius so I am very independent and move to the beat of my own drum. I don’t get embarrassed easily and could care less about what the latest trends are. I am obsessed with making people laugh and am either dancing in public or cracking jokes with strangers. My favorite quote is “Dance like EVERYONE is watching, sing like EVERYONE is listening, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” Before Real World, I worked for Child Protective Services. When I was in middle school I volunteered at a group home, and ever since that day I have always wanted to work with children in the foster care system. I went to The University of Arizona in Tucson and graduated with a bachelors in Psychology and a minor in Family Studies Human development. After graduation I moved to Scottsdale Arizona with some friends and have been here ever since!

Growing up did you ever think you would be on reality TV?
TM: I don’t enjoy scripted shows unless it’s Handmaid’s Tale, Orange is the New Black,
or of course Grey’s Anatomy, because come on those shows are amazing.
I only watch reality TV and grew up watching Real World and anything I could sneak on MTV,
when my parents weren’t looking. I always thought it would be a cool experience to go on reality TV.
Did I ever think I would be on it? No.
Did I hope one day to show the world my jokes and dance moves? Yes.  

Tell me about your time on the Real World- would you do it again?
TM: Nothing can prepare you for being on a show like Real World.
You watch these people on TV and they do such a good job of making it seem like there are
no cameras around. When they are crying and being vulnerable, hashing out arguments from the night before, or just being goofy and letting loose, you forget they are surrounded by a million cameras and have microphones on them. I went into that house expecting to get drunk and have fun for a few months, make lifelong friends, and have a great story to tell. I did make a couple lifelong friends and we had a lot of laughs, but boy the tears and growth we all experienced in that house was not something I expected. Imagine living in a house with 6 of your closest friends. Being constantly surrounded by cameras, no doors, no privacy, no alone time for two and a half months. That would be challenging right? The 7 of you always making joint decisions on where to eat, where to party, when to shut off the lights, how late people should be allowed to drunkenly scream in the house, who is going to take out the trash, who is going to unload the dishwasher (this was always a fight), when to take turns showering and using the washer and dryer, did I mention no alone time. Now imagine those 6 people are complete strangers. 6 people who you have no idea what triggers them, how they communicate, what they need to calm down in an argument, if they should have their alcohol monitored, if they get offended easily, if they hate confrontation, and so on. We not only had to learn how to live with each other, but how not to accidentally piss each other off in the process. The casting directors did an impeccable job at finding 7 people from completely different backgrounds. We clashed on almost everything, but this in turn made us really look at ourselves and grow from the experience. I have a very hard time telling people about my feelings, I keep them bottled up at all times. In the house Meagan and Yasmine got me to begin telling people when I need a shoulder to cry on, and that it is ok to ask someone to help when you are feeling sad. I learned I never truly worked through my sexual assault, and sought out a therapist while filming. I learned to forgive people and break down the walls I had built up over the years. I would 1000000% do it again. I am a completely different person than I was before that house, I changed for the better. 

Image result for tovah marx


If you had the chance to go on any other reality show which would it be?
TM: I would 100% do the challenge. I am honestly up for whatever comes my way. I decided to start saying yes to everything!

You're very open about anxiety and depression, which is incredible and I applaud you so much. What are some easy tips to cope with anxiety that creeps up on you from nowhere? As well as depression, how do you deal with it as sometimes it hits you suddenly? 
TM: Thank you, that means a lot. This was the main reason I wanted to go on Real World. When people look at me they never expect me to have the crippling anxiety and depression that sneaks up on me sometimes. I wanted to show people if I could get through what I have been through and still come out smiling, so can you. Easy tips for coping… My number one tip is to feel the feelings. Feel the sadness, the anxiety, cry it out if you need to. The worst thing you can do is push your feelings away, they will come back tenfold. I read a book one time that told me to write down what is making you sad or anxious, if you can identify what it is. When we have racing thoughts we tend to think of the same thing in our head over and over again. Because of this it seems as though the problem is way bigger than it is. By writing down what is bothering you, you can see it as a tangible and manageable problem. You are able to see it is not some big monster you can’t conquer, and is usually just one problem you have tricked yourself into thinking is bigger than it is. And lastly KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There is a reason there are so many books, podcasts, YouTube videos, articles, etc. on this topic. Millions of people are suffering from this as well, you are not alone. When I finally realized I wasn’t crazy for getting sad or anxious for no reason at times, it took the pressure off when the situation would arise. To this day, sometimes I wake up anxious or depressed, and instead of getting upset with myself I say “Alright Tovah today is an anxious/sad day. It might not last the whole day but it is what we are working with right now and that is OKAY.” I have also gotten so much better at communicating these feelings with friends and family. Calling them and saying I am having a depressed day, 9 times out of 10 your friends will know exactly what to say.

What's one of your favorite quotes that you like to live by?
TM: Dance like EVERYONE is watching, sing like EVERYONE is listening, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. There is only one you in this world. I learned a long time ago I was always happier when I was being myself. I love making weird noises, doing even weirder dances in public, and being silly even if that means some people think I’m weird. At first I was afraid no one would accept me, they would think I’m weird. What I have found is a whole squad of people who celebrate who I am, and love my personality. You will find your tribe, and they will love you for who you really are.














If anyone follows you on social media, they know you're a McDonald's fanatic, what's your go to order?
TM: I have always loved McDonald’s and talk about it constantly, I never realized how much until people started pointing it out.
I order: one hot n’ spicy, one large fry, one sausage egg mcmuffin (unless it is 2 for $4, then obviously I’m getting 2), and one large sugar free french vanilla iced coffee!

MCDONALDS SPONSOR HER OK?!

Who is your celebrity crush?
TM: I don’t think I have one at the moment! I learned through this whole Real World experience you never know who people truly are by social media. So for now I am focusing on myself and not looking in the direction of any guys.

What’s a fun fact some people might not know about you?
TM: I am obsessed with the movie DreamGirls and recite the seven person monologue/song perfectly.

And finally, who are three people you want to have dinner with and why?

TM:

  1. My cousin who passed away, I miss him and could really use some life advice at the moment.

  1. Jennifer Aniston. I feel like she is such a strong and beautiful human being that I could learn a lot from.

  1. Robin Willimas. I wish someone could have figured out why such a light on this earth would leave us the way he did. 





Instagram and Twitter: @tovahmarx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Heart Surgery to Criminal Justice to MTV, Jenna Compono is here in #Whitterview 31

It all started on The Real World Ex-Plosion, Jenna Compono's first show of many that aired on MTV. From there she moved on to The Challenge and was able to come out with some money from them after winning several challenges.  In this latest installment of the #Whitterview series, we get to know Jenna and her experiences on the shows she has been on.  Lets get to it! Meet Jenna Compono!  Tell me about yourself JC: I grew up in NY with a huge family. I am one of six and have over 50 first cousins. My mom is one of seven and my dad is one of eight, so you can imagine the amount of cousins at my family parties! I loved growing up with a huge family. We did everything together, birthdays, holidays, vacations, graduations etc. I recently just became an aunt for the first time to baby Stella, who is absolutely adorable. Right now I nanny and do reality TV which takes up a good amount of my time, besides working I love going to the gym and hot pilates when I get free

Two Time Challenge Champ Ashley Mitchell in Whitterview 48

I'm sure we've all asked ourselves about what would we do if we won a million dollars? I have, countless times. So I decided to go to the queen of MTV's The Challenge and ask the million dollar winner herself. We first met Ashley Mitchell on The Real World: Ex-Plosion, from there she went on to gracing our television screens on The Challenge series. Ashley is at the top of the list for Challenge vets as she has won the most money. She won season 29 and season 32 (Invasion of the Champions and Final Reckoning.) She won a million dollars in season 32. I mean, she does hold the record for most money won by a cast member and the record for the most money won in a single season- so that does make her the queen, am I right? I couldn't be the only one shocked that she went home right away this new season of The Challenge. (Yo- wish she could have been brought back somehow to shake up the game!) Anyway, with all this being said let's get to know the queen herself in

Kay Brown & Corey Brooks are #BFFGoals in Whitterview 54

Can I just say that Kay  and Corey are two of my absolute favorite people on this planet? Two people that would drop everything to help you out (I know first hand) and are the nicest people (and maybe corayziest.... but more on that later) I think that's what makes them the perfect best friends.  I'm also sure you're wondering what the heck Corayz means- Well 1. these two are crazy people, they even say so themselves, and well Kay + Corey = Coray, it's simple math really and I don't even know how to do math.  Ya ya enough rambling, let's get to probably one of the funniest interviews ever. From sliding into DM's, to trolling girlfriends and seeing how well these best friends know each other. It's time for this weeks Whitterview with Kay Brown and Corey Brooks! How did you two meet?  CB: Marie (Roda, MTV's The Challenge) posted a picture of me, Kay followed and liked/commented on every picture I’ve ever posted, I DM’d her asking if